[Rhodes22-list] Facilities Available In The Apostle Islands?

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:08:49 EDT 2020

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the tips regarding future adventures to Apostle Islands.  I
think you know the area better than I do based on your prior trips.  While
you probably already knew much of the info in the document from my last
note, I thought others might find it to be a good starting point for
planning and the photos in the document might just be enough to spur on
others from the list to make a trip there.  It really is a great place to
sail.  I would like to spend more time in the outer islands the next time
we go.  The sea caves must be amazing, but conditions were not conducive to
exploring those when we were there since it was windy.

Regarding Stockton Island, we anchored nearby the visitors center
accessible via the dock at Presque Isle Bay.  That anchorage is well
protected in all but south or southeast winds.  The depth drops gradually
and it has a sandy bottom which held well.  The docks there are in good
condition but the depth is shallow at 4-7'.  As long as water levels are
not low, you should be able to dock with the centerboard pulled up in your
R22.  Charter boats are not permitted to use any of the NPS docks on the
islands due to draft.  I attached a photo of the long dock at Presque Isle
Bay at Stockton where we tied up the dinghy to go hiking.  There is also an
L shaped dock as you can see from the attached snippet from Google Earth.
The visitors center is to the southeast of the docks, but it was closed
when we were there due to COVID.  All the lighthouses were also closed
while we were there.  We plan to go back some day and do more exploring
including tours at some of the light houses.

I look forward to hearing about your next trip to the Apostle Islands!

Jesse Shumaker
S/V Zephyr