[Rhodes22-list] Newbie question 1

Ric Stott ric at stottarchitecture.com
Sun Sep 27 08:25:03 EDT 2020

It’s not a design flaw, it’s a system you have to learn how to operate.
I have shroud covers and turnbuckle covers on all the shrouds. The covers roll and help the big genny through the fore-triangle.
I single-hand all the time and usually get the job to tack without complaints. My first few seasons with the Rhodes brought me to the conclusion that a 130% jib would be the answer - - -
But - that big genny is often all the sail needed and since I have a continental rig, if I’m not sailing to weather, I can just roll out the Genoa.
I have also found that unlike using both dials, the Rhodes will not be overpowered and on its ear with only one of the two sails up, even in winds up to 20 kts.
My ideal would be a new CDI furler that would allow for sail changes, then choose a 130, the big guy or a Code Zero - according to wind conditions and sail plan.
Ric sv Dadventure
Sent from my iPhone