[Rhodes22-list] Newbie question 1

Gmorganflier gmorgan.flier at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 23:22:57 EDT 2020

Welcome to the list Matt,

I’m a very novice sailer and the Rhodes 22 is my first sailboat. I’ve been
out on her maybe 9 or 10 times. I have gotten better at getting the big
genny to switch sides if the winds are at least around 3-4 mph. Less then
that, I still have trouble unless I furl the sail in a bit.

I’ve experimented with different shroud guards and my latest rendition uses
pvc...not schedule 40, but whatever the thinner version is. I use 1”
diameter for the outer tube, 3/4” for the inner tube, a 3/4” cap and 1/4”
pex up the shroud from there for maybe 5’. I drill a hole in the cap big
enough to get the 1/4 pex through. To thread the shroud through the 1/4” pex
and pvc cap you need to take the turnbuckle off so your only working with
the shroud wire and it’s threaded end.

The 3/4” cap is almost the same diameter as the 1” pvc, but there is some
slop with the 3/4” pvc moving around inside the 1” pvc. The remedy this I
used 9 wraps of electrical tape to center the 3/4” inside the 1” and then I
used sail tape around the joint between the cap and the 1” pvc.

The photo I’m attaching is a screen shot from a video I made this morning.

George Morgan
S/V Knotty Lady 1986/2005

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t909/DE71CBA5-15A8-4CFD-9365-C9D9134D9460.png>