[Rhodes22-list] Cleaning the hull

Joe Dempsey joedempsey at hughes.net
Wed Sep 30 10:41:22 EDT 2020

I've used 3M Restorer and Wax. It's good stuff but hard to find. I think 3M
has re-branded the product. They have a complete finishing"system/s" for
Gelcoat and paint finishes. I think the Restorer is now 3M Perfect-It
Gelcoat Light + Wax. It also comes in Medium and Heavy. I used the Light +
Wax on my topsides and happy with the results. I haven't had to do anything
but wax my hull. I use Maguier's Flagship Premium Marine Wax and am pleased
with the result. My hull still beads water at the end of the season, but I
wax and buff it again, "some is good, more is better"!  I don't know if the
hull is gelcoat (dark blue) or painted. If anyone on the list can answer
that question it would determine which of the 3M systems to use. However, I
can't imagine that the Gelcoat Light + Wax would hurt a painted finish.
Also, invest in a random orbital buffer. I just got one at Harbor Freight
for about $100. Saves time and elbow grease!

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/3m--perfect-it-gelcoat-light-cutting-polish-wax-quart--17568767?recordNum=6

-----
Joe Dempsey
s/v Respite