[Rhodes22-list] Mast raising

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Apr 14 10:42:39 EDT 2021

Either mast can be raised with the mast hanging out over the bow pulpit. The
stays are arranged in the same manner for both the IMF and the STD masts.
The reason that the IMF is generally raised from the stern is based on the
use of the mast crane & crutch since the IMF assembly is quite a bit
heavier.

The instructions that are at the bottom of this post apply to mast raising
without the mast crane & crutch system. To produce the correct mechanical
advantages, the top of the mast must be at the stern (supported by the
crutch) when using the crane. As I showed in the spreadsheet posted
previously, the stern crutch lifts the mast to a much higher point than is
possible using the bow pulpit, thus reducing the forces experienced by the
crane or gin pole when the mast is in the nearly horizontal position.

Regardless of the mast type or method used to erect the mast, the two side
stays and two of the lower stays must be attached BEFORE attempting to raise
the mast. If the mast is raised from the bow pulpit (top of the mast way out
in front of the boat), the attached lower stays are the FRONT lowers. If the
mast is raised from the stern crutch (top of mast towards the rear), the
attached lower stays are the REAR lowers. These 4 stays will prevent the
mast from falling over while the remaining stays are attached.

When raising from the bow pulpit, care must exercised that the loose rear
lower stays are securely fastened to the mast, no more than 6 feet from the
base of the mast. When using the crane, the front lower stays are connected
to the crane to lift the mast. In all configurations, the side stays must be
free of obstructions and the furling genoa assembly and the twin back stays
securely fastened to the mast no more than 6 feet front the base. The IMF
also requires that the boom is secured to the mast. All securing points are
to be no more than 6 feet from the base of the mast so that they may be
reached when the mast is vertical. Please be sure that the genoa assembly is
completely on the front side of the mast so that it may be easily connected
once erected.

The video by David Culp using the crane to raise the IMF
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mV12--7JDI0) and the instructions
(http://www.rhodes22.org/document.html?documents/Rhodes%2022%20MastHoist%20-
%201988.pdf) are very instructive.

Mike