[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes Trailer Bunk Brackets

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Tue Apr 27 06:35:05 EDT 2021

Hi Jim,

The bracket is welded to the upright; but, bolted to the wooden bunk.  The bolts are a special type called carriage bolts.  Carriage bolts have a wide, rounded head that is designed to bite into the wooden bunk substrate and spread the load without using a washer.  When the bolt is tightened, the design causes the head to be pulled down into the wood so it doesn’t protrude above the surface and cause a hard bump under the bunk carpeting.  In addition, the head is prevented from turning in the wood, so you can tighten/untighten the bolt with just a wrench on the nut.  That is, unless the wood around the carriage bolt holes is starting to rot.  Then, the carriage bolt will spin when a wrench is applied to the nut.  If this happens, you can’t trust the wooden substrate anymore and the bunk must be replaced.  There is a lot of surface rust; but, the bracket looks like it is still probably structurally sound.  You won’t know for sure until you take it apart, clean up the rust, and inspect it.  But, you certainly need to protect it or it won’t be long before it becomes structurally unsafe.  I like a penetrating oil called Kroil for breaking rusty bolts loose.  But, you need to have the boat off the trailer before you start messing about with the bolts that secure the bunks to the trailer.  Otherwise, your boat could be arrested for vagrancy – no visible means of support!  ;-]

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium