[Rhodes22-list] There’s probably a better way (to paddle)

Ric Stott ric at stottarchitecture.com
Thu Aug 19 15:56:22 EDT 2021

My Dad - used to keep a sort paddle on-board.
I keep my inherited Rhodes on a mooring in Shinnecock Bay, NY.
At low tide  I can walk to it, but I use a standup Paddle Board for a tender.
I take the paddle with me and always  have a long paddle (in the v-berth)  which comes in handy from time to time.
Because my tender is best used alone, I pick up passengers by backing the boat up to the beach with the rudder in the up position and the outboard as high as it goes on the old fashion manual lift.  (Which I rebuilt in-kind this season)  The prop and water intake are just deep enough to function and the keel (Must be in full up position)   stops the boat before the prop hits bottom  as long as the bottom is not steeply sloped. (Do not do this with the swing keel down, especially if you have the old style blade - bad things will happen)
If the slope is steeper, I stop the motor and tilt it up so the stern hits the beach with the momentum I create baking up.
My passengers climb up the stern ladder from the dry beach or from shallow water and I push the added weight off the bottom with my long paddle.  I can use this method for any beach with an approach deeper than 22”.
Of course the paddle can actually move the boat too if you ever need to, or be used when you blow the docking by a few feet, your dock lines are cleated and too short to throw,  and need the guy on the dock to grab something.
There’s always a story!
Last and probably least, it could be used to discourage unwanted guests from coming aboard.
We take the sailboat clamming often.
How many sailboats can you use for a clamming expedition?
Gotta a love the Rhodes 22.
Ric
Dadventure
'84 Continental