[Rhodes22-list] Trolling Motor On The Rudder Head

ROGER PIHLAJA Roger_Pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Aug 21 12:34:37 EDT 2021

Hi All,

The attached photo is my Minn Kota trolling motor clamped onto the rudder head and turned 90 deg.  I have the tilt adjusted slightly to starboard so the trolling motor’s prop clears the rudder blade.   On my trolling motor, there is a set collar that limits how far down the shaft will extend.  I have it adjusted to fit my Walker Bay RIB.  It will go down another 3-4 inches; but, it requires an Allen head wrench to adjust and I didn’t want to mess with it.  You can see by the relationship of the trolling motor’s prop to the waterline stripe; that, another 3-4 inches would submerge the prop sufficiently to get you home.  If that wasn’t sufficient; then, you could kick up the rudder blade and clamp the trolling motor onto the trailing edge of the rudder blade.  The only issue then would be, are the power wires for the trolling motor long enough to reach back over the transom.  My wires are just barely long enough if the battery were sitting on the lazarette hatch right at the transom.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D79684.52C65CA0]