[Rhodes22-list] Progress

Mark Whipple mwhipple59 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 18:59:52 EST 2021

Today was a great day for my 2001 R22, Luna Mia. Yesterday wasn't bad,
either.

Today I completely removed the wheel pedestal and all of the associated
hardware. Yesterday the saildrive engine came out. Next may be the Hoyt
boom for the self-tending jib, but that may have to wait a bit. I need to
get a few other things done before trailering my boat from Boston up to
central Maine to be painted.

All three of these things (saildrive, wheel and self-tending jib) seemed
kind of cool and unique when I bought the boat. But after sailing it a bit
I realized that none of them fit with the kind of boat I wanted and the way
I like to sail. The big issue with the saildrive is maintenance, since the
manufacturer in Sweden is out of business.

If anyone is interested in any of the three (saildrive, wheel and Hoyt
boom) send me a direct message. I'm not really interested in shipping, but
maybe something could be worked out. The Hoyt boom would be the most
straightforward to install, followed by the wheel pedestal (which comes
with engine controls and two wheels) and lastly the saildrive, which would
be a major project. I'm expecting the later will appeal to those who have a
Yamaha 15hp and could use the parts.

Making progress on making the boat my own!

Mark

Boston, MA

2000 R22 *Luna Mia*