[Rhodes22-list] Update on IMF outhaul/furling running rigging changes made over the winter

Reuben Mezrich reuben.mezrich at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 17:20:41 EST 2021

I finally got to work and shamelessly copied the changes to the furling and
unfurling (outhaul) lines described by Peter in episode 30 (
https://youtu.be/YS1MIEcvkPs) of his S/V Silverheels series and by Jesse in
his email of May 19, 2021 and document what I did in the attached. This was
all done with the mast and boom standing and the boat at its slip in the
water.

The modifications to the methods used by Peter and Jesse include:

·      widening the existing slot for the furling line to accept a Garhauer
exit block rather than creating a new slot for an exit block. The Garhauer
has attachment holes at the sides rather than the ends and so it could fit
in a widened slot. I used a cutting wheel on a Dremel tool followed by a
grinding wheel to widen the slot.

·      Butt splicing (end to end splicing) new lines to the existing
furling and outhaul lines. Using new longer lines to replace the existing
lines would involve taking down the mast which didn’t want to do. I found a
nice description of how to make an end to end splice in double braided line
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ZpfeyXKZo) on YouTube. The method
involves taking out the core and then using a FID to insert one outer braid
into the other outer braid. Turns out the strength of double braid is in
the outer braid, not the core. The braids don’t slip apart because of the
same mechanism that traps your fingers in the “Chinese Finger Trap” (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_finger_trap). One important note:
don’t use the simple FID sold by westmarine but rather use a Selma FID that
holds one securely as you thread it into the other line. It's available
on-line (eg Amazon).

The attachment with the images of my setup are in Word format so I hope it
is readable
Reuben Mezrich
Pelican Cove in Sarasota and Back Bay, Boston
Cell: 410-499-8922