[Rhodes22-list] gasket for mounting solar vent

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri Feb 12 15:05:59 EST 2021

Reuben,

I have a (6” diameter I Think?) stainless steel Nicro Fico solar vent in S/V Dynamic Equilibrium.  But, mine is mounted on the cabin roof above the head.  Despite the vent being on top of the cabin roof and several feet aft of the bow, in heavy weather, the vent leaks to the point where I keep a bucket under it.  When we start taking spray over the bow, we routinely pull the vent and install the solid cover plate in the deck fitting.  I would expect a solar vent on the foredeck near the bow would be even more problematic.  It really needs a dorade box vapor/liquid separator to work properly.  But, a dorade box would tend to foul the genoa sheets.   Be sure you always have the solid cover plate ready in case it’s needed and make certain the O-ring is in good condition.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone