[Rhodes22-list] gasket for mounting solar vent

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri Feb 12 18:12:37 EST 2021

Reuben,

My 1976 Rhodes 22 does not have a hatch over the head.  So, the solar vent is the only ventilation in the head.  It’s thru-bolted thru the cabin roof.

Does your Rhodes 22 have the slide-in drawer up in the bow for anchor rode storage?  Early versions did not have a drain.  So if your drawer doesn’t have a drain, you should add one that drains overboard.  Then, you could install several small deck inspection plates in the aft face of the drawer.  Two or three of these small inspection ports together would have as much vent area as the solar vent.  Then, if you installed the solar vent in the foredeck such that it drained into the drawer, the drawer could function as your dorade box vapor/liquid separator.  If you also keep your anchor rode in there, I would set up the solar vent to exhaust.  This way, you would be drawing cabin air into the drawer and you wouldn’t get the unpleasant smell of wet, muddy, moldy anchor rode in the cabin.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium