[Rhodes22-list] Compression Post and Head Door Problems

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Feb 23 09:46:56 EST 2021

Allyn:

Check under the floor below the compression post. It is not uncommon with
older boats, including mine, for the structure (it varies by boat) to give
way. As that happens the post drops. You might be able to actually see where
the floor boards immediately under the post as sagging.

A longer post will not fix the problem. Instead the structure under the
floor boards needs to be rebuilt.

Hopefully this is not the problem as it can be a PITA to fix. You might be
able to arrest the movement temporarily by driving a shim between the
structure and the floorboard under the compression post but if the structure
is giving way (rotting wood or possibly crumbling cement) it will need to be
replaced.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario