[Rhodes22-list] Compression Post and Head Door Problems

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Feb 23 23:45:39 EST 2021

Allyn:
The stringers are made of pressure-treated pine deck boards (5/4") that were well dried and then encapsulated in multiple coats of epoxy. The bulkheads are mostly made from the original pieces that were sanded, encapsulated in multiple coats of  epoxy and then covered on both sides with white Formica. Additional bulkheads made from scratch were made from regular 1/2" plywood and finished with epoxy and Formica like the others. The floorboards (see attached photo), are  made of 1/2" plywood, encapsulated in multiple coats of epoxy, painted with exterior floor paint and then topped with vinyl sheet flooring installed with contact cement.

I am a firm believer in epoxy encapsulating to preserve wood. It has been about 4 years since I did this work and so far so good. With the epoxy coating and a covering of Formica I didn't see the need for marine grade in this instance. I did use marine grade when I put an epoxy cold-molded bottom on my other wooden motor boat.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario