[Rhodes22-list] Portlight re-sealing

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Jan 14 15:06:10 EST 2021

Larry,

A quick check of the list archives brought up this August 2020 post by Graham Stewart:

     Regarding the use of silicone for ports.

     Beckson, one of the largest manufacturer specifies that silicone SHOULD be used :

     Their installation instructions are found here: https://www.beckson.com/installport.html

     "Choice of Sealant:
     There are many brands of caulk, adhesive and sealant available in your marine chandlery
     or hardware store, but be wary, not all are like. Many are for specific applications and may
     contain solvents that are destructive to thermoplastics. Chemical solvents should not be
     used for clean up.

     Beckson recommends 100% silicone sealant only. Availability of silicone varies regionally.
     Please contact your sealant manufacturer for the most up to date information with regard
     to materials and compatibility. Silicone has been around for nearly 50 years without sign
     of failure. Most other caulks and sealants fail after 10 years.
     When a port is installed properly, silicone works best for years of enjoyment.

     Sanding previously caulked areas:
     Previously caulked or sealed areas must be sanded in order to remove the old caulk.
     If not removed, a strong bond will not occur. Surfaces may appear to be free of caulk to
     the eye, but residue may still be present on the gel coat. Sand lightly with 220 grit paper
     to prepare for the silicone sealant."

     Check with the port manufacturer before deciding. Butyl is probably a safe choice but
     while it is an excellent sealant it is very weak as an adhesive. On a slightly curves surface
     that adhesive quality might be important.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY
I’d rather be sailing :~)