[Rhodes22-list] Want to trade your R22 for mine?

Mark Whipple mark at whipplefamily.com
Sat Jan 16 15:16:56 EST 2021

Big Boat Sold? Now what?

So it looks like I have a buyer for my 30' Nimble yawl. Still a long way to
go until I'll consider it a done deal but I do have a deposit in hand. I'm
a pretty linear thinker so I find it much easier to focus on B once A is
under control. In other words I am now giving more thought to what projects
I want to tackle on my Rhodes. More on that below.

As I considered what I would do to make this boat "mine," it occurred to me
that the parts I'm planning to remove might be just what someone else is
looking for. No, I'm not looking to sell those parts at this point. I'm
wondering if there's someone else who has a similar vintage Rhodes (mine is
from 2000, with no known GB rebuilds) in similar condition who might want
to swap for a boat with a self-tending jib, a wheel helm and a saildrive.

The Project I'm Considering

The two big ones are the self-tending jib and the engine. After sailing the
boat several times over the last two seasons I decided I want to remove the
self-tending jib and Hoyt jib boom. The engine is a Saildrive built by a
Swedish company that's no longer in business. It's based on a Yamaha/Parsun
15hp outboard so many of the parts for the head (at least) are available.
It's running fine just now but I'm more concerned about the long term, in
particular the bellows or seal that keeps the water out. It's possible that
a part for a Yanmar or Volvo saildrive might fit but I haven't got that
far.

I'm not sure just yet if I'll remove the wheel or not. I haven't yet been
able to get Stan to tell me what I would need to convert my rudder head
back to tiller usage, so I may keep the wheel for now. I think I really
prefer a tiller, even though the wheel was not as bad as I thought it might
be.

Details

I can provide pictures and more details on my boat. I'm just floating
the idea to see if there's any interest. I bought the boat in the summer of
2019 and overpaid based on current prices. Oh well. I'm less worried about
a dollar-for-dollar swap than I am avoiding the projects I'd have to tackle
to get the boat the way I want it. I'm not looking for a project boat, I
want to be able to splash whatever I have in the spring with minimal effort.

I don't know the make of my trailer but I'd deem it serviceable. It is
single axle but it does have surge brakes. I've noted some areas of rust
that I planned to tackle after launching the boat.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Mark

Boston, MA