[Rhodes22-list] New bottom paint suggestions

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Jan 29 13:21:30 EST 2021

Eric,

You should probably speak to sailors in the area in which you sail for their best recommendations.

After many years of trying different antifouling paints, I settled on Pettit Hydrocoat Ablative (https://www.pettitpaint.com/products/antifouling-bottom-paint/hydrocoat/hydrocoat/) for the waters of Long Island, NY. My boat is launched in May and hauled in October so my paint is exposed for a 6 month season with water temperatures of 50 to 80 F. Marine growth is rapid and fairly intense during the summer months. My goal was to find an ablative that was relatively safe for me to apply (water based), curbed marine growth and did not destroy the environment. Hydrocoat provided a good compromise and lasts for several seasons. For the first time in my life, I paint every other year, two coats. Dry time is not a factor with this product so I can paint on the first warm day in spring and launch a month or more later. It contains PTFE to reduce hull speed impact and is "self-polishing". It comes in four colors which permits me to select a contrasting color each time to easily identify the areas that need to be repainted. I have not tried the SR version - I superstitiously stick with what works in my waters. The cost is reasonable ($165/gal) from Defender.com (https://www.defender.com/search.html?q=Pettit)

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY
I’d rather be sailing :~)