[Rhodes22-list] IMF Questions

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jul 14 14:47:33 EDT 2021

Answers below. I've attached pictures that I've posted before from the
time we replaced Fretless's mainsail

On 7/14/2021 12:27 PM, Todd Tavares wrote:
> I have some general questions about the IMF system. I have a standard mast
> and mainsail, so I am not familiar at alll with the IMF, and I generally
> bypass IMF discussions.
> There were discussions about IMFs on another sailing forum which made me
> curious. One sailor said his boat has a ZSpar brand IMF which has a slot he
> can feed the mainsail bolt rope into and he raises it with a halyard like a
> normal sail or furling headsail
The GB IMF is a proprietary design and is different from all other IMF
systems. It would not work well on a much larger boat but it is almost
bulletproof in its simplicity.
> Can the Rhodes 22 IMF sail be installed without dropping the mast?
No
> Does the Rhodes 22 IMF furler have a slot for a bolt rope or slugs and a
> halyard?
The furling tube has a slot for a boltrope which you slide into the tube
by hand. It's a snug fit and the sail has a loop top and bottom which is
attached to an eye at the top and another at the bottom which is how you
tension the luff.
> I always thought the sail was fixed to the furling tube, like the old GB
> genoa tube arrangement and had to be installed as a complete assembly from
> the bottom of the mast.

Yes you are correct

> I assume there is some way to raise or lower the sail on the furler because
> there is an upper boom position. How is the Rhodes 22 IMF sail raised and
> lowered? How is the luff tensioned?
When you raise the sail to the upper position the whole furling tube
with the sail affixed moves up and down within the mast. The sail itself
can only be lowered by sliding it out of the furling tube which has to
be done with the mast down. The luff is tensioned by stretching it as
you attach it to the eye straps top and bottom. It's only done when you
install the sail.

Hope this is helpful,

Mary Lou
ex Rhodes 22