[Rhodes22-list] CDI Furler Wire Halyard Snapped - What's at the top?

Allyn Baskerville allynb at adsne.com
Thu Jun 3 23:02:19 EDT 2021

Thanks for the info. I've not been on another Rhodes, but I've spent considerable time on a Capri 22. Based on that, I'd say my boat has excessive weather helm, and I really appreciate the info you provided.

I've not made any adjustments to the forestay assembly, and the only thing I'm guessing on is adding 3/4" for the piece of the toggle joint that broke off to the point where the pin goes through. I measured this 6 times, and 3 times I came up with about the same measurement: 28' 1-3/4" +/- 1/8" center to center. Just to clarify, the distance from the center of the pin that goes through the chain plate to where the toggle fork broke is 28' 1", then I added 3/4" for where the piece broke off to where I think the pin would be. The forestay wire is 27' 6-1/4" (taken to the outer edge of the swage crimp). I really think I'd run out of adjustment on the backstays if the forestay was about 3.5" shorter. I'll go back out to my boat, but I'd be surprised if there was more than 1.5-2" of adjustment available on the backstays.

You also mentioned chloride stress cracking fatigue failure. The boat was a one owner and came from Wisconsin and had a Wisconsin title, and I don't know if it was ever sailed in salt water. The hull was coated in mineral deposits, which I continue to work on. But then our lake water isn't much better.

I worked on this email far to long, but I'm hoping it's relatively clear to understand.