[Rhodes22-list] Solar Controller

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 17:50:01 EDT 2021

The trickle cells probably won't overtop the batteries, toasting them.
Probably.    I added a pair between the solar cells and batteries last year,
when I replaced a faulty cell.   One lives in the battery box by the V
berth, next to the main switch.  The other is in the little storage nook
under the companionway.   I looked at it as an inexpensive way to add a
voltage gauge and USB ports for phone or IPad (Navionics) charger.   The
negative is parasitic drain during winter layup.   I did the math, the
milliamps added up from November to April.    The manufacturer cautions that
a solar cell hooked to the controller but not to a batter would damage the
controller.   I covered my solar cells and disconnected the batteries.  A
smarter person would have wired in a switch.

Alex

-----
Alex Cole
S/V Lark