[Rhodes22-list] We launched today! Lake Michigan motor stuff.

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 18:05:24 EDT 2021

Pox on corn whiskey in gasoline.    From now on I'm running ethanol free
only.   I currently have stabilized gas from last summer on Erie.    Lowes
sells ethanol free as well, about $25 / gallon.  Carburetors cost more.
Having my 4 year old motor fail yet again, two weeks before  a planned
cruise when the shops aren't taking new business is panic inducing.
Running the carb dry isn't sufficient in my experience, but I do that every
single time.   My Tohatsu can get 25 nautical miles / gallon but the jets
clog easily.   My old 2 cycle Evinrude has jets that never clog, but sucks
the tank dry like a 1970's car.

I ran the tank dry on my dry stored wood chipper last fall, but just
replaced the carb last night anyway.  Fortunately I found the carb was
cheaper then a new fuel line and gaskets (after I cleaned the old one).
Marine grade carbs are a lot more expensive. but rebuilds are expensive as
well.

Alex

-----
Alex Cole