[Rhodes22-list] I'm back from my heart catheterization procedure

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri Jun 11 08:33:33 EDT 2021

Hi All,

I had my heart cath procedure yesterday.  They eliminated a number of things:

  1.  The pressure mapping inside my heart chambers indicated I do not have significant leakage due to a congenital defect like a hole between chambers or valve leakage.
  2.  They could find no sign of infection or any sort of tumors inside my heart.
  3.  There is no obstruction to blood flow in my pulmonary arteries, say due to a sharp bend or kink.
  4.  My fraction ejected went from ~35% before Tikosyn to ~55% after.  55% is within the normal range.  So, the Tikosyn appears to be working.
  5.  I do not have significant plaque build-up in my coronary or pulmonary arteries.  So, I will not need a coronary bypass or a stint.

While this is all good news, the question remains, what the heck is wrong with me?  Why do I have all the swelling, poor aerobic stamina, the A-Fib, and tire so easily?  The short answer is, they don’t know for sure.  I have an appointment at the Heart Failure Clinic, Midland Hospital next week, Thursday.  They have been talking about scheduling me for a sleep study to determine if I have sleep apnea; but, that hasn’t been scheduled yet.  Frankly, I’m a little skeptical that sleep apnea could be causing all this; but, I can always be persuaded by data.

Other than that, I have a normal list of post surgical issues.  I have stitches in my groin that prevent me from driving for 2 days, I can’t do anything strenuous or even lift more than 10 lbs for 5 days, I can’t immerse the stitches in water for 10 days, and I have to watch for complications like infection or a hematoma at the incision site.  I had the usual post surgical anesthesia “hangover” and I slept yesterday afternoon and evening.  I feel somewhat better this morning, although my stitches hurt when I walk or bend over.  Sitting on the toilet is somewhat painful.

Other than that, things is dull; but, life is good!  Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium