[Rhodes22-list] Rudder failure

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sun Jun 20 18:14:52 EDT 2021

Thomas,

The GBI rudder head is made of PVC.  Even a UV stabilized grade of PVC will eventually become embrittled by sunlight exposure.  That’s what it  looks like happened to yours.  Stan will sell you a new one.  Or, you might consider purchasing a piece of black ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) and using your old rudder head as a template.  UHMWPE can  be cut and shaped with wood working tools.  My rudder head is 25+ years old and shows no signs of sun exposure.  Try US Plastics, McMaster-Carr, or Grainger for UHMWPE.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone