[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes Continental Sails

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 20:55:23 EST 2021

We have a competitive group that can be vocal on the water but everyone is
friendly back at the dock.  The experienced sailors are big on helping out
newer sailors like me since they like to pass on knowledge and it's more
fun when there is good competition.  In the end, I view it as a sort of
measuring stick and set of goals to improve my own sailing skills in a
variety of conditions.  My racing experience is limited to our lake as well
as a Snipe regatta at another lake in Nebraska.  Now that I have a Snipe, I
might start to go to some of the other regional regattas.  The Snipe
sailors seem to be a friendly bunch with camaraderie.  Of course, that
seems to be the case with most sailors, especially if they have something
in common like the same type of boat (as evidenced by the helpful group of
people on this list.)

An often told local story is that a group of sailors from our club formed a
team for the NOOD regatta in Miami a few years ago and won their class.
When they were asked where on the coast they were from, they chuckled and
replied that a lake in Iowa was their humble home sailing grounds.

Jesse