[Rhodes22-list] Lake Michigan Crossing?

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri Mar 5 18:24:07 EST 2021

Hi Tom,

I’ve gone a significant distance out into Lake Michigan starting from north, east, and west in S/V Dynamic Equilibrium.  But, I’ve never made a Lake Michigan crossing in S/V Dynamic Equilibrium.  Starting from Gill’s Rock, WI on the tip of the Door Peninsula on Green Bay; we’ve sailed thru Death’s Door out to Washington Island, then Rock Island, and back to Gill’s Rock.  Starting from Charlevoix, MI; we’ve sailed out to Beaver Island Harbor of Refuge (HoR), then Garden Island, and back to Charlevoix HoR.  On the northern end of Lake Michigan, we’ve sailed from Escanaba, MI HoR on Little Bay de Noc over to Fayette HoR near the tip of the Garden peninsula on Big Bay de Noc.  Fayette State Park has a cool restored 1870’s iron smelting facility and company town.  In the summer, there are costumed reenactors.  If I were going to do a Lake Michigan crossing, I would strongly consider doing it in 3 legs; Gill’s Rock to Jackson Harbor on Washington Island, Jackson Harbor to Fayette HoR (NOTE: There are numerous uninhabited islands on this leg – so you could island hop & beach camp if you are so inclined), Fayette HoR to Beaver Island HoR, and finally Beaver Island HoR to Charlevoix HoR.  I would do the crossing west to east because the summer prevailing winds usually favor that strategy.  This strategy lets you sail in the daytime and also keeps you mostly out of the commercial shipping lanes.  The big ore boats terrify me and they always have the right of weigh!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium