[Rhodes22-list] Bald Eagle/Canada Geese Standoff

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Sat Mar 6 18:55:06 EST 2021

I'd just got to my boat and a bald eagle took a dive at a blue heron, that
was on the opposite shore. When the eagle got about twenty feet from the
heron, the heron dove in the water, to live to see another day. The eagle
veered off in search of easier prey. When I was
 in Alaska, a game warden that was giving a presentation on eagles said
that when an eagle picks up prey in its claws, they lock closed. They
have to put the prey on a surface to release the lock on the claws. He
said if a eagle tries to pick up a prey that he can't lift in the water,
both usually die, the eagle drowns and the prey has to drag a dead eagle
around the rest of its short life.