[Rhodes22-list] Compression Post and Head Door Problems

Allyn Baskerville allynb at adsne.com
Sun Mar 7 11:51:10 EST 2021

I got my boat out of the water yesterday, and the compression post fell out on the way to the dry slip. I took the wood off the compression post was resting on, and I was in for a surprise. It’s a box mostly made from PRESSED WOOD CHIPS filled with concrete. It’s resting in a fiberglass channel.

The center most board provides the bulk of the support, but it wasn’t installed correctly. The front is about 1/4” short of where it should be, and the back is about 1” too low.

The concrete is actually covered for about an inch with a mixture that is a bit gooey, hard, and rough. Concrete underneath. The plywood on the right is not marine or exterior - it’s the same as what my cabin is made of. I can see significant water damage on most of the wood.

Unfortunately, I have to chip out the concrete to get the screws out and hopefully lift the box out. Anyone have a better idea than just chipping it out? I don’t want to damage the fiberglass.

Thanks, all.

[cid:C4C840CE-9F94-4812-A11D-205FF2668004]

[cid:0679DFCE-E64D-4D47-BBFC-31B4C130F4EA]

Sent from my iPhone