[Rhodes22-list] Wallowed Out Holes in Rudder/Head Assy; Flex with Rudder

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Wed Mar 17 20:50:04 EDT 2021

I don't know if the rudder is supposed to be hollow but it doesn't seem like
a good idea to me. When I rebuilt my rudder after the bottom edge was
damaged by groundings I found many voids in it. I was able to locate then by
tapping on the rudder with a screwdriver handel. I drilled two holes into
each void and injected epoxy into one hole until it came out the adjacent
hole. I can't tell if I got them all but certainly I was able to inject a
lot of epoxy.

Of greater concern to me was when I discovered the the keel housing also
contained large voids. If anyone is interested in how I located and
addressed the voids I have placed a description in the archive about 5 years
ago but will repost if it can't be found. Suffice to say that I injected and
poured over three gallons of polyester resin into the keel and can't be sure
I got all the voids filled. My boat is a 1976 and the keel had been damaged
with a large crack all around the base so it might not be typical but those
with older Rhodes might want to consider the possibilities.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario