[Rhodes22-list] Wallowed Out Holes in Rudder/Head Assy; Flex with Rudder

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Thu Mar 18 15:00:42 EDT 2021

To be clear, my rudder was not hollow by design - as far as I could tell. It had large voids throughout.

I also rebuilt my centerboard and it had no voids that I could tell. Both the rudder and the centerboard for boats of that vintage used the same mold and are identical except that the centerboard has added weight.

The keel had voids but was not likely built to be hollow. In that case I discovered that the large cracks under the keel had been allowing loose material, including flakes of metal probably intended to be ballast, to leak out. My understanding is that the ballast used in the R22 varied a lot over the years. As mentioned before, I was able to put 3 gallons of resin in the keel. That is a lot of space in my books. I am in Canada and we have very cold winters. Water in any of these places could do a lot of damage. The fact that I have had no visible damage from freezing in the years since I did this work suggests that there is very little water in these pieces now.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario