[Rhodes22-list] How to prevent mainsail UV damage?

Mike McKay mm.bizlist1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 15:02:52 EDT 2021

I recent acquired Liber, a 2006 R22 recycled in 2018.  The 2018 mainsail
failed at and near the Sunbrella seam due to UV exposure damage.  My
sailmaker patched in a panel to replace the damaged section, but it is clear
that sunlight will always hit the sail inside the mast and it will become
weaker over time due to UV exposure.   A picture is attached.

The prior owner told me to detach the clew from the outhaul car and wrap it
around the mast when leaving the boat for a while (he got that suggestion
from Tino at General Boats) but that would still leave a significant section
of Dacron constantly exposed through the slot in the mast.

Any suggestions for how to better protect the main from premature failure?

Thanks,

Mike McKay
s/v Liber 2006/2018
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t998/Sail_damage.jpg>