[Rhodes22-list] [Rhodes22e-list] New Traveler Modifications

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Wed Mar 24 13:48:51 EDT 2021

Rick,

My 1976 Rhodes Continental 22 came with a cable style traveler.  This was not a very good setup and I soon upgraded to the GBI bar-style traveler that is mounted on the backstay.  This traveler was much better and I used it for many years.  However, because the mainsail trimmer needed to be in line with the clam cleats on each end of the traveler bar in order to cleat off the control line, it was very difficult for the helmsman to also play the traveler.  This was especially an issue when the helmsman was sitting up on the windward gunnel (i.e. hiking out) and the traveler needed to be trimmed to leeward.  GBI’s 2nd
(3rd?) generation traveler pretty much solves all these issues.  Properly adjusted, the latest generation traveler has a built-in slip characteristic that will save you in an accidental gibe or a knockdown gust.   The traveler control line is a continuous loop, which enables the helmsman to play the traveler to windward or leeward without leaving his hiking station up on the windward gunnel.  The helmsman drives with one hand on the tiller extension, the other on the traveler control line, and multitasks.  The helmsman can feel the weather/lee helm pressure thru the tiller and is in the best position to adjust the traveler to optimize the weather helm/lee helm balance.  I’ve been sailing with the new generation traveler for 3 seasons now.  If you care about boat speed and sail short handed, this upgrade is well worth the price!  On a close hauled course in 10-15 knot of wind, If you get into a drag race with another Rhodes 22 that is properly using  its latest generation traveler vs you using your mainsheet, you will fall behind by ~30-40 sec/nm.  In a PHRF race, that’s huge!  Other than buying new sails, there is probably no other upgrade that offers this much performance per dollar spent.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium