[Rhodes22-list] Summer 2021 Cruise Plans?

Frank Goldsmith goldsmith.cf at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 18:28:04 EDT 2021

The start of an interesting thread.  I envy those of you who have sailboat cruising plans.

My immediate nautical plans involve paddling rather than sailing.  In mid-April I will be joining some friends for an extended weekend of swamp canoeing on the Black River in North Carolina, including a visit to the Three Sisters Swamp, which is part of that river.  The Three Sisters section includes the oldest trees in the Eastern U.S., bald cypresses that have been dated back to at least 605 B.C.E., the time of the Babylonian empire.

Our group has been exploring various blackwater rivers in the Carolinas since 1980, although we’ve also made forays into the Quetico Provincial Park in Canada, the Okefenokee Swamp in south Georgia, and even a river in Sweden (sadly, I missed that trip).  We’re mostly in our mid-seventies now, and for the last few trips we’ve elected to establish a fixed base camp in a nearby state park or some private property (with permission) and make day trips, rather than hauling all our gear in our canoes and looking in the afternoon for dry ground, as we’ve mostly done in the past.  The variety of ailments that afflict many men of our age have made unburdened canoes the better choice.

But I am looking forward to getting my Rhodes back in the water at Lake Keowee, once new sails are installed in a couple of weeks.

Frank

Frank Goldsmith
s/v Mary Bess (1985/2001 Rhodes)
Asheville, NC and