[Rhodes22-list] Joining the Stan Spitzer Chorus

peter klappert koatimundi100 at gmail.com
Mon May 3 10:15:29 EDT 2021

Hi Stan—

Just chitchat but sending via the list in case any Rhodes have info or
advice about electric outboards.

Great to see all the news and praise of Stan. Aeolia is NOT for sale, but
I’ll certainly want you to sell her when she is. Say sometime after 2031.

She’s been on her trailer for a few years, alas, because I had to rebuild
my seawall (which meant building a new one around the old one) and that
meant pulling the dock. I learned the seawall was leaking soil into the
canal because my pool was sinking and cracked—it had cracked once before,
something the grifters I bought the house from didn’t reveal.

As you know—it was your advice—Aeolia doesn’t have bottom paint. In Florida
stuff starts growing on the bottom in about 5 days. Had I foreseen it would
take me this long to recover from pool & seawall expenses, I’d have added
bottom paint and rented a slip.

The good news is a new dock & lift go in later this year. Many more $$$$$,
because I’m also accommodating a power pocket cruiser on a lift.

Yup, my personality has split after nearly 8 decades and 1/2 is going over
the the dark side. I’m committed to electric propulsion and currently lean
toward the C-Dory TomCat, a 25.5’ outboard-powered catamaran. Problem is
finding and outboard (the TomCat takes 2, usually 120hp ea) with enough hp.
Chris G just alerted me to a new one made in Norway by Evoy. Not yet on the
market, but I’ll wait.

I’m also going to get rid of the troublesome Merc BigFoot on Aeolia and get
the Tohatsu 9.9-equivalent electric. Jeepers, I hope I don’t have to sell
my dogs to pay for all this.

Would love to drive by and catch-up. If I’m anywhere near Edenton, I
certainly will. Meanwhile, stay as young and healthy as you are—we all need
you!

Peter
S/V Aeolia (2012)

--

*Peter Klappert5012 Bay State Road Palmetto, FL 34221*