[Rhodes22-list] The list is plain text

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Mon May 3 13:39:06 EDT 2021

I’m not sure what Todd is seeing or why, but the list software stores and send emails in plain text  It’s always been this way, with the possible exception of very early days back in 2002.

If you look at the source for the web page for Roger’s post (http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2021-May/087903.html), you can see that in the message itself, while there is some escaping of special characters going on (e.g. apostrophes are escaped to '’’), there’s no html, and therefor no way to support formatting like bold text or colors.  But, the message is within <pre> </pre> html tags, so spaces, tabs, and new-lines should be preserved from the original.

Different email client applications may handle quoted text differently, which may explain why Todd is seeing quoted text in red.

While on the subject of email clients, they also may their own decisions about what constitutes a ’thread’.  I’ve created this post as a reply to Todd, but I’ve changed the subject.  I’m pretty sure that Mailman will consider this a continuation of the ‘Centerboard Question’ thread, while my email client will consider it the start of a new thread.  So, what I see as an email thread on my computer may look different on yours.

—Peter