[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard Question

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue May 11 08:59:59 EDT 2021

I too had a badly cracked sole on the keel. In fact, the crack extended almost entirely around the base of the keel. I think it was caused by the previous owner placing a board between the keel plate and the trailer. I continued with that for some years as it looked sensible enough. The only way to see the crack was to get the boat suspended off the trailer so I could get right under the keel and look up.

I learned through the list that the keel should not rest on anything when on the trailer. The boat is only supported by the bunks.

Because it was not visible the crack went unnoticed for years and probably was exacerbated by freezing. Material inside the keel was also washed out including what looked like flakes of metal which I think might have been some form of lead ballast. As a result there were large voids in the keel which needed to be filled - not a trivial job as resin needed to be injects higher up and through the cabin floor.

The moral to this story is 1, don’t place anything under the keel when the boat is on the trailer, and 2, occasionally get right under the keel and inspect it for cracks - especially if you have had and hard grounding or the boat has come down hard on anything. This is obviously something that you don't want to delay fixing.

I have attached a picture of the keel with the crack showing.

Repairing the crack was a major effort. If anyone has the same problem and is interested in what I did just let me know.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario