[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Extension Replacement

Jeffrey Camiel forg3d at gmail.com
Wed May 12 23:18:50 EDT 2021

Used that method on Chrysler 22 trailer that had the same extension.  First injected the trailer extensions frame with large amount of PB blaster.  Elevated the trailer extension to get the Blaster to soak.  Left it over night. Then in the morning, tapped the extension housing all over with a small sledge hammer to stay to break rust in the housing (sides and both ends).Then tied the  trailer axle to a thick tree with tow straps (first pulling out the pin holding the extension in the housing). Had one person watching watching the trailer axle and another watching the extension, put truck in low and slowly pulled, rolled back, etc.  finally the rust broke and the exertion pulled free.

Thoughts.

1. Worried about the axle pulling off frame.  But felt the axle was much less likely to bend than the frame.
2.  Would have loved to back up against something to the push back the extension against to work the rust, but couldn’t really figure out how to do that.