[Rhodes22-list] Trailer

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Mon May 17 08:14:41 EDT 2021

Thomas, when I first bought my boat a quarter century ago and towed it for
the first time, as soon as I hit 45mph the boat started fishtailing wildly
and jerking the vehicle like crazy. Scary as h*ll! I took the motor off and
lashed it to the trailer tongue and also loaded other gear as far forward
as possible. That helped. But also, when the boat was in the yard (not
connected to the vehicle) if I climbed the boarding ladder the tongue would
lift up. I’m only 165 lbs! After a couple years of this and many attempts
to load the boat farther up on the trailer I finally popped for a second
axle to be added to the trailer. I added electric breaks too.  Best
thousand bucks I ever spent! It now tracks like a dream without removing
the motor, shifting gear or anything else. It also gives me peace of mind
knowing that if I blow a tire or burn a bearing I can safely pull over.  I
know some R22s tow just fine on single axle rigs but mine did not and
others, like you have had the same problem. Not all trailers are created
equal. If you plan to do much trailering I highly recommend this fix.

Steve “Slim” Alm
S/V Fandango