[Rhodes22-list] Update on IMF outhaul/furling running rigging changes made over the winter

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Wed May 19 18:06:51 EDT 2021

I liked the rigging changes that Peter made to S/V Silverheels in episode
30 (https://youtu.be/YS1MIEcvkPs) of his youtube videos.  He went further
than I did, but over the winter I made similar changes for the IMF outhaul
and furler on Zephyr.  Now that I was able to try it out I put together
some photos and a couple of short videos in case others might want to try
this.  I'm happy with how it turned out.  It makes a convenient process
even easier!  I know there's a performance penalty for IMF compared to
traditional mainsail but I primarily enjoy my R22 for relaxing.

One other note: after going out in high winds at the end of last season, my
mainsail had started to tear where it joins the sunbrella fabric.  I think
there had been some UV damage when a bit of the white portion of the
mainsail was left exposed by the prior owner.  I had a local sailmaker add
extra sunbrella fabric as a patch and that seems to work well.  I roll a
small bit of the sunbrella portion into the mast.

Link to the document: (it's also attached)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wnx9wIExMgZliuu67VgtYRByzYyod3Gp/view?usp=sharing

Video of outhaul is at https://youtu.be/rnlbU_VqKyk

Video of furling is at https://youtu.be/dAeTd1EeC4c

Jesse Shumaker