[Rhodes22-list] Axle location

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri May 21 08:03:28 EDT 2021

Graham,

You will need a bathroom scale that reads up to 350 lbs and 2 hydraulic bottle jacks.  First load up the boat as you will have it for trailering it down the road.  In my case, that includes a full tank of fuel, empty porta-potti, full water tank, and of course, the outboard mounted on the transom.  I assume you have a tongue jack?  If not, you will need a jack stand or something to support the end of the tongue on top of the scale.  Start by putting the tongue jack on top of the scale and get a tongue weight measurement.  The rule of thumb for tongue weight is about 10% of the gross trailer weight in order to have stability.  Figure your boat and single axle trailer weighs about 3100 lbs.  So, you need about 310 lbs of tongue weight.  Now, jack the trailer frame up from the same spot on both sides.  I would start immediately behind the tires.  Get the trailer’s frame at approximately the same level as when it was supported by the tires.  Note that you will probably have to remove the tires to get it low enough.  Now, measure the tongue weight as before.  It should be greater than before.  Keep moving the jack points aft until you find a spot on the frame that gives you about 310 lbs of tongue weight.  That’s where your single axle needs to be moved to.

By the way, your R-22 is the same year as mine.  The early R-22’s had porta-potti’s, not marine toilets and holding tanks.  Where is your water tank located?

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium