[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Extension Replacement

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Thu May 27 18:03:05 EDT 2021

I replaced my extension and learned a couple of things.
1) In another thread there has been a discussion about tongue weight. I had
assumed that since I was successful at positioning the boat fully forward on
the bunks for the first time (on the previous three retrievals, the bow was
about 3" back from the bow-stop), that my tongue weight must have been too
great, causing the extension to buckle. However, with the bow in contact
with the bow-stop, my tongue weight is only 215 lbs. (so less than the
ballpark 350 lbs. target weight). Excessive tongue weight did not cause the
failure.
2) When I stood the old tongue extension on end and banged the rust out of
the inside of the tube, I collected about 10 pounds of rust. Of course this
was all rust that used to be part of the tube structure. Most of it seemed
to come from the aft side of the tube; that is, the part that bears the
tongue weight when extended. I conclude that I need to be sure to rinse the
inside of the extension thoroughly each time I use it (twice a year) since
we launch and retrieve in salt water.

-----
Long Beach Island