[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Extension Replacement

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri May 28 07:49:05 EDT 2021

Hi All,

The stiffness of a rectangular tube is proportional to the [Tube Wall Thickness]^3.  That means the stiffness would be VERY sensitive to loss of material due to corrosion.  The situation would be even worse if there was localized corrosion, say due to pitting or a low spot that caused salt water to pool.  Besides flushing after every salt water immersion, you might want to consider running a rag soaked in a corrosion inhibiting oil, like gun oil, thru that tongue extension.

When the tongue is extended, the tongue weight is much lower.  For example, my trailer’s tongue weight is about 327 lbs with the tongue not extended.  With the tongue extended, I’ve never measured it.  But, it’s low enough; that, I can lift the tongue with one hand.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium