[Rhodes22-list] Dock lines

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Mon Nov 1 07:59:12 EDT 2021

Thomas,

3/8” lines will be plenty strong enough.  Just be aware of chafe & install chafe guards at wear points.  This would also be an issue with 1/2” lines.

3/8” lines have some other advantages vs. 1/2” lines:

  1.  There is room on your cleats for two 3/8” lines – i.e. bow line + spring line, doubled up lines, etc.  1/2” lines barely fit one per cleat.
  2.  The 3/8” lines have more stretch and thus less “jerk” when you are tied up to a dock vs. 1/2” lines.
  3.  3/8” lines with a loop will fit thru the center hole on the cleat and then loop back over the horns of the cleat while still leaving enough of the horns free  to cleat off the line.  This is very useful to run a line from the boat, around a piling on the dock, and then back to the boat.  Then, you don’t need anyone on the dock when it comes time to cast off.  You can’t do this with 1/2” lines.
  4.  3/8” lines are less expensive

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium