[Rhodes22-list] Go Faster

Allyn Baskerville allynb at adsne.com
Tue Oct 12 05:10:08 EDT 2021

I’ve had my R22 two years now, and there is so much I like about it. The year I bought it, I learned to race on it and always came in last. I know it’s not a racing boat, but I bought it to do camping with my wife - for cruising and camping under the stars with the cockpit bed, it can’t be beat.

This year, I raced almost every Wednesday and Sunday. We have a fair number of boats in Oklahoma City, but there is usually only 12-15 boats that race Wednesday and maybe 6-8 Sunday.

I have the only R22, and the only boat I can beat is the Catalina 22 (without factoring in PHRF - just raw time). There is usually quite a gap between my R22 and the boat in front, which is often a Capri 22. I’ve TLE’d more than I want to admit.

Without buying a second boat, is there anything I can do to be more competitive? I did a bottom job after I bought it and used 4 coats of epoxy and then used ablative (not the best choice for racing, but I did ask around the club for advice before going this route), but I’m not about to redo that. I may have to grin and bear it.

The boat does have the IMF. One thing I’ve battled a lot is the headsail when it’s furled - it’s baggy around the middle section, and the rear stays are taut. I try to keep it unfurled as much as I can, but the wind here is often too gusty. 18-20 mph with gusts around 30.

Is it possible, given these parameters to knock 20+ seconds off the PHRF?

Thanks, all.
Allyn