[Rhodes22-list] Go Faster

Lee Kuhn lvjkuhn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 17:55:14 EDT 2021

Allyn,

I don't race so take this for what it"s worth.  I also don't pay much
attention to my speed if I'm going downwind although I do use wing-on-wing
and a whisker pole and raise the centerboard.

I spend most of my time trying to go faster into the wind.  I look at the
knot meter and then make small adjustments to try to gain speed.

Jeff"s advice about real meat is extremely important.  Only so much you can
do if single handling.  Usually I start losing speed if heeling more than
25 degrees.  Always depends on the wind, point-of-sail, current,
adjustments, wife's mood. etc.

Stan says if the wind is more than 28 knots it's time to unfurl the iron
genny, but he's a better sailor than I.  If the wind is above 20 knots I
can't make any headway.  If you search the archives under Lee and
spreadsheet you'll find a post about sailing 3.5 knots at 40 degrees into
the wind in heavy chop.  Wasn't much headsail in use.

I love the 175 Genoa but I don't believe it helps much with speed unless
you're headed downwind with a whisker pole.  On a reach it takes 3 knots of
wind to inflate the monster and starts to slow you down in a 5 knot wind.
But she sure is pretty.  And how many boats do you see flying a headsail
twice the size of their main?

Few will agree but the owner of J-Boats will confirm.  You can go a little
faster into the wind in certain conditions if you raise the centerboard.
The keel alone will produce enough lift and you'll have less drag.  You
won"t make as much headway but you may not need to.

Good luck!

Lee
1999 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Claytor Lake, VA