[Rhodes22-list] First time

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Mon Oct 18 11:36:06 EDT 2021

Hi Wilson,

It helps to make a checklist and follow it.  Do you have the GBI mast stepping system?  I am not strong enough to step/unstep the mast without this mechanical aid.  Stepping/unstopping the mast is faster if you have some helpers.  You save the rigging/unrigging time to setup the GBI mast stepping system.  But, if you are alone, the GBI mast stepping system makes it a safe, foolproof operation.

The attached picture shows the OEM standard cleat for the backstay adjuster.  This cleat is located on the transom in the starboard aft corner.  Also shown in the picture is my improved “Go Faster” backstay adjuster.  The backstay tension is the primary way to adjust forestay sag.  Forestay sag affects genoa sailshape.  You want to be able to adjust it quickly and reproducibly.  Here are the components of my backstay adjuster:

  1.  Harken 146  Single Big Bullet Block With Shackle
  2.  Harken 144 Swivel Base With 150 Cam-Matic Cam Cleat & Stand-Up Spring
  3.  10-24UNC X 1-1/2 Inch 18/8 Stainless Steel Flat Head Phillips Machine Screws, Fenders Washers, & Nylock Nuts – 4 Reqd

Instead of cleating the backstay adjuster off on the OEM standard horned cleat on the transom, rig it thru the Harken block and cam cleat.  Now, using a black magic marker, mark off every 6 inches on the backstay control line starting from when the backstay adjuster just starts to take up the slack in the forestay.  Now, you can reproducibly adjust the tension in the backstay with just a flick of the wrist and  a pull on the control line to the appropriate mark.  Note, the required backstay tension to eliminate forestay sag in heavy air is quite high.  I don’t like to leave the backstay tension that high when I leave the boat (think banana boat!).  So, I slack off the backstay adjuster when I’m not actually sailing.  Note, the Harken swivel base enables the helmsman to reach and adjust the backstay tension from any position in the cockpit.

This discussion actually belongs in the “Go Faster” &/or “Furling Headsail Replacement” threads because it is another go faster upgrade associated with the genoa.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium