[Rhodes22-list] First Time

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Tue Oct 19 22:37:29 EDT 2021

Wilson,

I suspect that you are using the chains in the wrong place.

There has been more than one version of the mast lifting system, but I only know the details  of the one I have (circa 2016).  I'll just have to assume that yours is the same .

When you are going to raise the mast, the mast crane should start out tipped a little aft of vertical.  The aft lower shrouds are attached directly to the mast crane.  The upper shrouds are connected to their chainplates.  The forward lower shrouds should also be connected to their chainplates, but they won't reach.  This is where the chains are used to extend the forward lowers.

When you get to the point where the mast is vertical, the mast crane will be close to horizontal, but there should still be enough room to continue to rotate the winch handle until the back stays are pretty tight, and the forestay can be attached to its chainplate without too much struggle.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)