[Rhodes22-list] First time

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Wed Oct 20 15:24:31 EDT 2021

Hi Wilson,

I’ve been thinking about what might have “popped” at the masthead and then the forestay was looser.  There is a toggle joint where the forestay attaches to the masthead casting.  When you are trailering the boat or setting the mast up to be stepped, this toggle joint can get folded back onto itself, thus using up about 1-1/2” of forestay.  I believe your toggle joint got stuck in the folded position until quite a bit of tension was applied to the forestay and then it straightened itself out with a loud “pop”.  Checking the position of the toggle joint is something to add to your checklist.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium