[Rhodes22-list] [Rhodes 22 List] Centerboard Down When Motoring on to Trailer?

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Sep 18 07:17:58 EDT 2021

Michael,

There are enough other tasks to rig/unrig a Rhodes 22 without having to mess with the rudder.  As long as it doesn’t affect the trailer stability because of tongue weight, the reason to leave the rudder on the transom is because you can.  Leaving it in place gets you on the water more quickly and on the road more quickly. The rudder is in no more danger of being lost or damaged when trailering down the road vs on the water.  Would the rudder be safer in the cabin … sure it would.  The boat is safer when the trailer is parked in the driveway or tied up to a dock too.  But, we still take the trailer out on the road or sail away from the dock because we have adventures to experience and places to go.  The Rhodes 22 is a tough little boat and you don’t have to baby it.

I take my tiller and rudder assembly apart, as per your description, for varnishing and painting.  It’s a royal PITA!  I wouldn’t want to do it every time I trailer the boat.

I’ve been trailering my boat with the outboard and rudder on the transom since 1987, thousands of miles.  But, now I’m curious.  What do other owners do with their rudders and outboards when they trailer?

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone