[Rhodes22-list] IMF sticking

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Wed Aug 10 21:16:52 EDT 2022

Rodney,

>From your description, it sounds like something is binding in the outhaul mechanism.  That's the resistance you would overcome by grabbing the clew of the sail and tugging it toward the mast.

When you're underway, there's always lots of things going on simultaneously, and it's impossible to be aware of what's going on with every component.  I'm guessing this will improve with experience, as it did with me.

But, if freeing up the clew allows you to then reef the main without much trouble, it seems certain that there's no mechanical issue inside the mast.  This is good news.  Any issue that may exist outside the mast would be much easier to deal with.

--Peter