[Rhodes22-list] A Different Approach to Adding Lithium Batteries To Your Boat

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 09:30:41 EDT 2022

Thanks Peter.  That youtube channel has quite a bit of interesting
background.  I wonder if you have checked out https://atomvoyages.com/ or
the corresponding youtube channel
<https://www.youtube.com/user/atomvoyager/videos>.  There is lots of
interesting project work there.  I suspect a bunch of us on the list
probably watch a bunch of the same sailing you tube channels.  By the way,
thanks for posting the videos of your recent Maine trip.  It's always great
to watch your adventures.

An update from some of my posts of the electrical update I made over the
winter: the system that I ended up with was a the LiFePO4 as a house
battery charged by 30W solar panel mounted above the stern rail, and then a
small sealed lead acid battery on a separate circuit for my electric start
motor + motor lift.  The lead acid battery is changed by the two 10W solar
panels (that came with the R22) wired in series, as well as the
alternator.  So far this has worked out well.  Like a lot of my projects,
it's probably overkill.  Each of the batteries is under 30lbs so it is
easier to take them out for the off season.

Jesse Shumaker
S/V Zephyr